I've been having difficulty lately with relationships. I love people. Love em. But I can't stand them. The people who I like frustrate me, mostly by not talking to me. I don't know if I smell bad, or what, but I have this need for these people I like to talk to me.
So, I take advice from TV, I don't remember what, probably the beginning of Bones, where they're all "You see what you just did? You just asked a personal question without offering anything of yourself back, so now you get nothing." So I offer up all of this information about the way I think, and what I'm thinking, and what I am thinking right then, probably really annoyingly and repetitively. The entire town probably knows tons more about my feelings about hair, and it being weird and just tons of dead stringy proteins hanging from your head, and an alien would look really weird with hair because hair is weird, however, I get nothing back from these people.
I tell them what I think, then.... nothing. Then I feel like I'm being selfish, so then I feel like I have to pry to get to know these people, then I just end up asking stupid freakin' questions like what's your freakin favorite color? Pepsi or Coke? Then I get excited when I remember to reference Pulp and ask Elvis or Beatles, but then they never get it. I don't know why they never get it, it's not that many people that I like, so they've probably heard it before, so then I get the feeling that they don't give a shiz, and they just want me to go away. I am Brendan Frasier pre-wishes in that Bedazzled movie.
So now I have a new theory on why I over-share. I feel like people are judging me. And I want them to have all the information, all of the variables, each very-possibly-irrelevant tidbit that might sway their judgement in favor of me, even if just a little bit.
So, I hope people want me to like them. Maybe one day someone will want me to like them for who they are, and they will tell me who they are, and I will remember, because it won't be a follow up to one of my second-grade-interview questions.
All anyone wants is just to be liked.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for posting a comment. It's very nice of you.